Every time I think that the Republican party has reached the apex of craziness something else happens. Have the Republican’s who have called for President Obama’s impeachment over his 23 Executive Orders to promote gun safety and curb gun violence actually read them? I know anyone who wants to impeach him will not read this blog, but here is the complete list as posted on the Wonkblog:
The White House also announced 23 executive orders on guns and gun violence that Obama would sign immediately:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
I think the NRA wanted more cops at schools. That is #18. A cop at a school is a resource officer who is especially trained to be around kids and knows what to do in a school setting. See also #19. They also wanted more emphasis on mental health issues. Look at #17, #20, #21, and #22.
Here are the pictures of those who, as of today, are supporting impeachment I guess because they got some of what they wanted. Remember impeachment begins in the House. These were posted by Think Progress.
Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX)
Rep. Trey Radel (R-FL)
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX)
Former Attorney General Edwin Meese (R)
And I’m sure there will be more to add. Like Senator Rand Paul.
Like I said, it just gets crazier.
- READ: Obama’s plan to reduce gun violence (washingtonpost.com)
- Rand Paul To Challenge Obama’s Gun Control Executive Actions (huffingtonpost.com)
- READ: Full List of 23 Executive Actions in Gun Violence Reduction Measures (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Obama plan: ‘Assault-weapon’ ban, universal background checks (wnd.com)
Maya, it sounds like these politicians want to arm criminals. Otherwise, why would they be upset about the President taking steps to execute existing laws? Isn’t that what the head of the executive branch was elected by a majority of the voters to do?
Right. But only if the President is a Republican.
I’m Not a Republican, and Yet I Hate Everything Obama Has Done. I Don’t Think it’s Left Right Issue. It’s an Issue of Power Grabbing Fascists Trying to Lead us into a Dark Future. It’s an Issue of Individual Rights and Freedoms, Being trampled on Every Week by an Administration That Openly Hides Behind Special Arguments, Appeal to Emotion and Appeal to Authority Propaganda Techniques Whilst Using Racism as a Shield.
Thank you for your opinion. You sound like a very unhappy person and for that I am sorry. They say that one projects onto things one doesn’t like what one really believes and maybe if you would look at some facts and history, you would feel better.
Reblogged this on GoodOleWoody's Blog and Website.