If Jack Lew is confirmed, we have a great thing to look forward to according to Ezra Klein.
The Treasurer signs our money. This is Lew’s signature.
I can’t wait to get my first bills signed by him.
But as Klein cautions
Obviously, that would turn American currency into the best money
ever. Unfortunately there’s always the chance that Lew could ruin everything by
making his signature less, well, loopy. That’s what the fun destroyer Timothy
Geithner didwhen he became treasury secretary.
We can only hope that Mr. Lew is true to himself and we have great money for the next four years. Don’t change your signature, Mr. Lew!
President Obama had this today about his signature
“I had never noticed Jack’s signature” until media coverage of the looping letters on Wednesday, Obama said at the East Room ceremony where he announced his nomination of Lew. “I considered rescinding my offer to appoint him.”
Obama said he’s asked Lew to “make at least one letter legible in order to not debase our currency should he be confirmed as secretary of the Treasury.”
- The best thing about a Treasury Secretary Jack Lew (washingtonpost.com)
- Obama to pick Jack Lew as Treasury Secretary (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Secretary of Scribble: Is Jack Lew About to Doodle on Your Dollars? (dailyfinance.com)
- Coming Soon to Our Dollar Bills? (newser.com)
- Lew’s loopy signature may end up on dollar bills (wfaa.com)